Tuesday, May 23, 2017

X-Ray Cat Trio "I Lied"

(Killjoy Records 2017)

I Lied
Ram Riders
Lonely On A Saturday Night
The Devil's Come Rag

This is the third slab of wax from the Leeds-based outfit X-Ray Cat Trio. I'll get the particulars out of the way first shall I? Okay, This is available on black vinyl (400 copies), hot pink vinyl (50 copies - band edition) and lizard yellow vinyl (50 copies - Killjoy Records edition).  Now then, the music. Well, in a nutshell, this 7 incher is a funsize Rockabilly Psychosis And The Garage Disease. Packed with quality and diversity. This is a must-have for anyone with even a modicum of good taste. By my calculations, it's a 10 minute joyride through everything I love about my chosen music genres. From trashy, sleazy garage rock'n'roll to surf, right into a bit of 1950s bubblegum pop balladeering (with bollocks) and a rockabilly chaser for the road. The boys show expert prowess on every one. Usually at the end of these I stick on a sample track of what to expect, but in this case, sticking on a single track wouldn't do the boys justice so I'm sticking on a sample of all 4 songs sexily merged together by me because I'm nice like that. The lads are no museum piece though. Yes they play an eclectic mix of styles rooted in the 1950s and 60s but do so with such vigour and dynamism that they wouldn't have been "radio-friendly" back then. With that said, they're not radio-friendly now either and that's why I love em. Having the ability to appeal to a multitude of subcultures is a rare trait in a band but from where I'm sitting this a trait the X-Ray Cat Trio have in abundance.  
The O'Prez


No comments: